Over the years I have found that if there is one mistake most women make when it comes to styling their hair it is the tools that they use. (Mother bought them a curling iron when they were eight years old and then have been using it ever since etc.) Using damaged tools can ultimately lead to more damage to your hair. There are 3 important factors to keep in mind when using styling tools The Three T’s of Tools: Time, Temperature, and Technique.
1. Time – First, time management is a big deal. Everyone has places to be and things to do. The correct styling tool will help you style your hair in less. The length of time you have had a styling tool also makes a difference because over time the styling tool begins to wear down causing them to not work as well as they could or should. This ultimately causes you to spend more time styling and can lead to unsatisfying results.
2. Temperature – This is a big one… If you are unable to know the exact temperature of your tool it can ultimately cause problems for you and your hair. Too hot causes the hair to be damaged and ultimately could burn your hair causing long term damage. Too cool and the style will not hold as long. It is important to find a tool that has a temperature monitor on it.
3. Technique – If you do not know the correct way to use a tool it can cause your hair to be damaged or the results of the style not to be to your liking. Here are a two tips to help:
– Always use a heat protector products like Aquage Thermal Spray or Beyond Shine which will not only protect the hair but give a slight hold and shine to the hair.
– Only flat iron freshly shampooed dry hair. If your hair is dirty, the oils will adhere to the iron causing it to burn as it straightens.
This week take a moment to look at your styling tools and see if you have the right tools to get the look you desire… while making sure not to damage your hair.
I am always here to help so if you are unsure about the tools you are using feel free to ask me by commenting below or emailing me.
Remember…Beauty Begins Within